Saturday, May 1, 2010

Things and Stuff

There's this cool weird thing happening with me where every day something involving Jimi Hendrix makes itself apparent in my life, and last night I think it reached climactic proportions when an absolute stranger at a rave came up to me and asked if I wanted a tape...to which I replied yes, upon which time he reached into his pocket and handed me a Jimi Hendrix cassette. Every magazine I open has some Hendrix reference, I went to the Walker last week and ended up in a hammock listening to his tunes watching screen projections of his album cover all over the walls...I found lots of Hendrix references last weekend in Chicago and people just seem to keep talking about him BUT come on, I'm seriously kind of tripped out about this whole thing and I'm wondering if its going to escalate, although I can't think of anything weirder happening other than Jimi ending up alive in Mexico and on the phone with me trying to get me to go down there and hide out too... And let me also say that I am definitely a fan of coincidence but also rely predominantly on chance, and both are playing such a huge part in recent happenings... but Hendrix? WHAT DOES IT MEAN? I think it all started when I began wearing velvet pants on a regular basis. But yeah, major mind-fuck, a man I've never even seen walking out of that weird abyss that is 2532 25th ave s and straight up to me with this tape in his hand.


Anyway, I was reading Adbusters this morning on the train at 6:30 AM after raving all night, returning home to shower, and then heading out to work...and this shit is important.

"The nucleus accumbens is a tiny structure of the brain located within the striatum, which controls movement, and next to the limbic system, which is involved with emotion and learning. The accumbens is the main junction between our emotions and actions. These closely linked motot and emotive functions also extend to the prefrontal cortex, which controls our thought processes. It is this accumbens-striatal-cortical network(the crucial system that links movement, emotion and thinking) that has been dubbed the "effort-driven rewards circuit.
This effort-driven rewards circuit is a proposed neuroanatomical network that underlies most symptoms associates with depression. It is actually possible to correlate every symptom of depression with a breain part on this circuit. Loss of pleasure? The nucleus accumbens. Sliggishness and slow motor response? The striatum. Negative feelings? The limbic system. Poor concentration? The prefrontal cortex. The brain is also programmed to derive a deep sense of satisfaction and pleasure if physical effort produces something tangible, visible and necessary for survival. So if I go out in the field and harvest my own food, my effort-driven rewards circuit will be stimulated, causing neurogenesis (the production of new brain cells), which is believed to be an important factor in recovering from depression."


GET UP, GET OUT AND GET SOME